The work of the social worker at the Clinic is adapted to the needs and type of patients, children and adults, especially children with disabilities. The work of the social worker was encompassed throughout the rehabilitation process, in addition to patients in the Clinic, family, work organization, school, various social and humanitarian organizations, donors from the country and diaspora.
Today, complex tasks of social workers are carried out through teamwork, in cooperation with other members of the rehabilitation team. The methodological approach in the work is based mainly on the collection of information and work with the patient and the consultation with the family, working organization, school and other institutions of importance for solving the patient’s problems. The family, as a significant factor, is constantly involved in the rehabilitation process, and contacts with it continue after the patient leaves the institution, in order to involve the patient in a wider social environment (school, work organization, social welfare institutions, etc.).
The content of the work of the social workers of the Clinic relates to:
- the first interview with the patient, ie the parents (guardian) and the child, on the basis of which the methodology of further work is developed (in relation to an adult or a child);
- monitoring the patient from the perspective of the social worker;
- Participation in the care and accommodation of patients in appropriate social welfare institutions;
- Providing assistance to the patient and the family in exercising the right to health, social and child protection (rights from employment for regulation of pension and disability status of the patient, realization of someone else’s care and help, increased child allowance, etc.);
- participation in the work capacity assessment team (for about 300 patients per year);
- participation in teamwork in the department;
- participation in cultural and entertainment life;
- Participation in pedagogical assets of the “Dr Dragan Hercog” primary school (cooperation with teaching staff as a link between them and departments);
- interventions for checking and supplying orthopaedic aids and wheelchairs (cooperation with orthopaedic – prosthetic institutions);
- inviting patients to hospital treatment or examinations;
- Notification of the release or trials of orthopaedic aids;
- Cooperation with relevant centres for social work, schools, kindergartens, associations and other social and humanitarian organizations (contribution to increasing the quality of life of adults and children with disabilities);
- Organization of driving tests for patients.
In resolving the problem of disabled people and children with disabilities, the social community should be involved, by eliminating architectural barriers (exclusion of followers), by applying new norms and regulations for their inclusion in the normal life-cycle (continuation of education, employment, accommodation in social institutions … ).